miƩrcoles, 28 de enero de 2009

A letter to the Parole Board

Honorable Parole Board,
I am writing on behalf of my family and myself, as we are coming to the sixth year we have been without our Brother, Uncle, Father and Friend, Mark S. Burton. And I can tell you that the pain of loosing him does not diminish, it grows. Sadly, you get numb to it. Every time we gather as a family the giant void in the celebration is apparent to all of us. Often I cry when I think that my 4 year old son will never know the Uncle Marko I knew. Hell never get to hug him or laugh at him. Nor will I or anyone else who knew and loved him. Ever again. I don't know if you have ever had anyone so selfishly robbed from you, so I am doing my best to demonstrate how it feels, to me and my entire family. To my Grandpa and Grandma who were robbed of their son, to his Daughters who were robbed of a Dad, to my Uncles Jeff, Rob, Eddie and Philip who were robbed of their Brother, and my Father who was robbed of his Brother. To the all of his nieces and nephews who miss him so bad that it literally hurts and to his countless friends who miss him. Six years seems like a long time, but it's not. It still seems like it was yesterday that I answered my phone early on Sunday morning and it was my sobbing Mother telling me that my Uncle Marko was gone. She told me how some man had entered his work and shot him dead. My ears heard, but my heart and mind didn't. I asked her " is he alright, which hospital is he at". " No, honey", my Mom said "he's gone". At this point what my Mom told me hit me and all I could do was scream. That is still what I feel like, I want to scream. When I think of the possibility that the man who meticulously plotted and planned to take Mark from us may one day walk free. That brings me to the purpose of my letter to you. I am pleading with you to make sure this never happens. (Inmate A397305) must never be allowed to leave his prison. He is and I believe will always be a detriment to society, as he demonstrated by his malicious and calculated murder of Mark Steven Burton. He demonstrated his inability to control his anger, and he demonstrated his ability to plan and with his own hands take the life of another human being. He was not remorseful, in fact stated that he would gladly do it again. He meant that. I believe that he would do it again. He reveled in the joy it gave him to take a knife and slice away part of my Uncles hair and scalp and take it with him. He bragged that he knew just how and where on Marks body that he could shoot him so that he would live long enough to see himself scalped. That is why he should never be paroled. That is on the societal side. On the moral side, why should he be free when his actions caused a prison of sorts for my family and me. A prison of helpless anger, sorrow and longing. We will never be free to hold our lost family member. We will never again laugh with Mark, celebrate Christmas with Mark, or birthdays, or graduations, or new babies. We will never be able to be angry with him or say sorry. We can never tell him we love him. These are things (Inmate A397305) took from us, things we can't have back after 23 years. Mark Burton doesn't get to come back to his family in September of 2023, nor should the man who resolutely killed him. Our sentence is life, for real. Please make his sentence at the very least equal to ours.


Very Sincerely,

Shelby on behalf of myself, The Burton Family, and all of Mark S. Burtons friends: (signatures to follow)




This is the actual letter I submitted to the Parole board on behalf of my family, my Uncle Marko and his countless friends who miss him very much. This is my ritual on every anniversary of my Uncle Marko's death. He was taken from us on August 5, 2000. It still hurts like it was yesterday. I removed the murderer's name from this post as he thinks he is some kind of local celeb. The truth is, no one remembers his name, he's just "the guy" who killed Marko, and nothing more. On the other hand Marko is remembered, and missed EVERY SINGLE DAY.


I miss you Uncle Marko






No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario